Budget and Financial Analyst
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans or any other legally protected group.
Budget and Financial Analyst
Thayer School of Engineering
The Budget and Financial Analyst, in collaboration with the Finance Office team, provides consistently outstanding customer service to the Thayer community with an emphasis on timeliness, accuracy and professionalism. Reporting directly to the Director of Budget and Financial Operations, the Budget and Financial Analyst is responsible for day-to-day support of budgetary and financial accounting and has accountability to the leaders of the departments in Thayer School. In addition to ad hoc reporting and analysis, the Analyst has direct responsibility for the graduate student budget process and projections.
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Department Contact for Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Key Accountabilities Analysis - 40%
- Analyzes monthly transactions for accuracy and spending patterns
- Uses judgement to advise on corrections and budget spending and takes necessary actions.
- Ensures all inaccurate transactions are rectified in a timely manner
- Monthly review with Budget Operations Director to assess the overall budget balance
- Creates annual Profit & Loss statements for various departments at Thayer
- Performs a variety of detailed analysis projects for Director, Budget Operations and Finance and CFAO
- Collaborates with Director, Budget Operations and Finance to ensure all tasks are completed for the Year End close
Graduate Student Budget Analysis and Projections - 30%
- Advises the Director, Budget and Finance Operations, and the Sr. Associate Dean for Research and Graduate programs about budgetary status and contributes to the development of the student operating budget.
- Manages, creates and monitors the student support workbook, updates tuition rates, enrollments and additional information as necessary for accurate reporting, and compares this workbook to systems for accuracy, updating systems and coordinating with other departments as necessary.
- Advises and assists students with financial payments, account review and financial release for graduation.
- Designs and implements a more streamlined process to account for students.
- Prepares and submits allocations for tuition fees, health insurance and fees for all accounts.
- Accountable for the student budget projections; coordinating with MEM Director, PhD Program Director and BE Program Director to be distributed to Chief Financial and Administrative Officer ( CFAO ), Director, Budget Operations and Finance and the Board of Advisors
Reporting - 25%
- Prepares and analyzes detailed reports for all departments within Thayer (including student groups, project courses, labs, etc)
- Develops, maintains and reports using viable audit procedures to ensure accurate and timely information
- Designs and implements a more streamlined process to prepare reports
- Monitors and advises managers and student groups (including projections and accountability).
- Analyzes and reconciles monthly transactions for accuracy and spending patterns
- Guides the Thayer community on using the Chart of Accounts tool
- Provides ad hoc reporting analysis to internal/external customers
- Prepares and ensures accuracy of student financial data for Federal and Non-Federal surveys, in collaboration with Assistant Dean for Strategic Initiatives.
Office Support - 5%
- Cross trains with other team members to ensure adequate coverage, accurate and consistent information and timeliness.
-- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others. -- Performs other duties as assigned. PI117016794