MSA, The Safety Company
Job ID: 2021-4762
# of Openings: 1
Category: Operational Excellence
For more than 100 years, our passionate mission of safety empowers us to protect lives.
MSA Safety is a global leader in the development of safety equipment and pioneering technology that helps protect people and facility infrastructures around the world. We are committed to providing the latest in innovative, best-in class safety solutions that feature integrated systems capability and allow our customers to return safely to their families and friends. Every day our customers place their lives in our hands. In response, we provide them with protection they can trust. It is gratifying to lead the way as a source of inspiration. Would you like to join our team of more than 5,000 employees world-wide dedicated to this purpose? We hope so.
We're looking for a hands-on Production Manager. While reporting directly to the Plant Manager, you will be responsible for managing multiple departments within the Pittsfield facility. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to make a positive impact on planning, organizing and managing a variety of processes and staff who manufacture Fire Fighter turnout gear. The position requires significant daily interaction with the plant manufacturing associates as well as Plant and support staffs to ensure strong customer service, high quality, continuous cost and operating improvements, favorable financial operating performance and timely new product launches. If this sounds like an exciting opportunity, we want to hear from you.
- Leadership, Staffing, and Development - Lead the Supervisory staff, maintaining the right mix of skills, staff size, and development activities to achieve organizational objectives. Collaboratively set objectives for supervisors and other leaders, monitor progress, and provide coaching and support to achieve desired results. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with individuals at all organizational levels, both internal and external to the Pittsfield facility;
- EHS - Drive safe practices in all aspects of the facility. Engage associates to participate in proactive safety and ergonomic programs including Behavior Based Safety. Ensure systems and procedures are in place to meet OSHA standards and other regulatory compliance;
- Quality - Ensure products are produced in accordance with design requirements, production processes adhere to the MSA Quality Management System and regulatory agencies, and customer issues are resolved in a timely manner;
- Delivery Performance - Establish production processes / systems to ensure customers' delivery expectations are met;
- Work with the plant's Continuous Improvement teams to identify and implement cost reduction initiatives, inventory and throughput gains, layout optimization, quality enhancements and or customer service upgrades
- Deploy the MSA Operating System to monitor and implement programs to enhance key performance metrics, i.e. Productivity, Quality, Attendance and Safety (including environmental & regulatory compliance)
- Develop facility budgets, understand, track, summarize and provide commentary for financial performance of production operations.
- Communicate information and convey results to motivate a large work group to achieve multiple performance objectives
- Support New Product Development for the facility
- Identify short and long term needs for capital equipment for the facility.
- Develop strong working relationships with other key company functions (Engineering, Marketing, Sales, HR, etc.);
- 0-10% domestic travel required.
Special knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Demonstrated and effective leadership skills including the ability to coach, promote teamwork, individual accountability, and associate morale.
- Ability to lead a diverse workforce and provide the motivation and sense of urgency to achieve increasing levels of performance
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, solve technical problems and lead projects
- Ability to provide leadership for the successful execution of new product launches, execution of established long-term goals and strategies, implement business process improvements, and achieve bottom-line results
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build and foster good working relationships with co-workers at all levels within the organization
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including facilitating presentations
- Proven ability to organize and prioritize a large number of diverse tasks
- Proven ability to project a positive, professional image and promote positive relations
- Excellent decision-making skills including the ability to identify project obstacles creatively develop alternative solutions. Make recommendations on course of action for approval and follow through on course of action
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with cross-functional team/work group or those outside of formal line of authority to accomplish organizational goals
- Strong business and financial acumen to drive organization results.
- Demonstrated success in the development of individuals' skills and abilities so they can fulfill current and/or future job responsibilities.
Education and experience required:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or related technical field required
- This position is available at three different career levels depending on experience, education, etc.:
- Level one: 3 years of production supervision or project management experience required, plus 4 years of production or related experience. Masters, advanced degree, or relevant military experience may be substituted for up to 2 years of supervisory and/or work experience.
- Level two: 4 years of production supervision or project management experience required, plus 5 years of production or related experience. Masters, advanced degree, or relevant military experience may be substituted for up to 2 years of supervisory and/or work experience.
- Level three: 5 years of production supervision or project management experience required, plus 5 years of production or related experience. Masters, advanced degree, or relevant military experience may be substituted for up to 2 years of supervisory and/or work experience.
Education and experience preferred:
- Masters or advanced degree or certification.
- Experience managing others in supervisory roles as well as multiple departments/multiple shifts.
- Experience leading Lean, 6-Sigma, Continuous Improvement, or EHS initiatives, or implementing new processes.
MSA is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to providing a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination.
As such, it is MSA's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of the person's age, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, race, religion,
gender, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, veteran's status, genetic information, political affiliation, disabling condition,
or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. MSA also makes reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities who are otherwise qualified to perform a job unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation to assist you in navigating this career site, let us know.Contact Us MSA is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.