Supervisor, Custodial Services – Residential Operations
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans or any other legally protected group.
Supervisor, Custodial Services - Residential Operations
Reporting to the Custodial Services Manager, the Custodial Supervisor for the Residential Operations department exercises overall responsibility for planning, scheduling, implementing, and reporting on the daily and special duties of the custodians within the student residential facilities. Together with a second Residential Operations Custodial Supervisor, is responsible for the supervision of approximately 47 full-time regular union employees, plus temporary employees, including non-union summer conference staff. The Residential Operations department is responsible for the performance and management of staff who provide a clean and safe campus living environment for a diverse undergraduate student population using current and effective sustainable custodial methods and techniques.
The Supervisor maintains a current working knowledge of all trades under their purview, establishes safety, quality control and productivity standards applicable to each trade, ensures that these standards reflect best industry practices and are applied in the performance of work. In addition, he/she is responsible for assisting in the preparation of specific and annual budgets, overseeing the shop's equipment and supply inventory, communicating effectively with Residential Operations management and the student campus community, as well as, building and maintaining staff morale and overall productivity. Maintains professional and effective communications and professional working relationship with College faculty, staff and students.
Schedule: 1st shift - 8:00am-4:30pm, Tuesday-Saturday; Sunday/Monday off.
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Department Contact for Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Scheduling, planning, project analysis, quality assurance - 45%
- Plans, prioritizes, and assigns all work for which the Residential Operations custodial department is responsible and provides estimates and reporting for work as required.
- Receives and reviews work orders, manages inspection and assessment of work to be performed and assigns appropriate resources based on a comprehensive assessment of all conditions and requirements. Inspects and evaluates daily in-progress and completed work for compliance with safety, quality, and productivity standards. Provides daily building inspections ( DBI ).
- Working as a team with the Quality Assurance Coordinator and the second Residential Operations Custodial Supervisor, implements the department's quality control initiatives and standard operating procedures to ensure the highest standards of cleanliness in all areas. Works with, and actively supports the use of the Smart Inspect mobile software program. Enforces use of task sheet assignments and maps.
- Develops scope and specifications for routine work, special projects or for services not provided by the College. Solicits and reviews bids for services, performs appropriate bid analysis and awards work in order to achieve best value for the College.
- Formulates and implements new policies and procedures, as necessary, to ensure that safety, quality control and productivity standards are met for all work performed.
- Prepares cost estimates and schedules routine work, as well, as special projects and provides assistance in the preparation of annual budgets.
Resource management and evaluation - 15 %
- Approves and monitors resource use (personnel, tools, equipment, vehicles and supplies) and ensures that adequate resources are available to perform work in a safe and productive manner.
- Monitors and evaluates material and products used by the custodial department in order to ensure that appropriate standards are set and maintained related to performance and cost effectiveness. Uses multiple internal and external systems to requisition and obtain materials and products in a manner that achieves best value for the College.
Personnel management -30 %
- Responsible for establishing work and staff schedules that consider all attendance factors such as vacation, personal and short-term disability leave. Reviews, approves, and submits staff time through the Colleges electronic payroll system. Provides or requests, as needed, documentation related to leave time, injuries, reimbursements and similar.
- Participates in various personnel actions, including, but not limited to, hiring, performance management and evaluations, promotions, transfers and vacation schedules.
- Coordinates work and personnel needs with Residential Operations administrators, supervisors and administrative staff, as well as, representatives from other departments and organizations as required.
- Provides staff training and holds shop meetings to maintain appropriate and productive communication with staff.
- Provides or requests, as needed, documentation related to leave time, injuries, reimbursements and similar.
Additional Residential Operations responsibilities - 10%
- Assists with Controlled Storage appointments as needed and covers these duties as needed.
- Must be willing to work overtime and on weekends as necessary, especially during residence hall openings and closings, Commencement & Reunion periods, and the summer conference season.
- Participates in college-wide in service trainings on subjects relevant to Residential Operations.
- Upon request from Residential Operations offices, checks student rooms for policy compliance. Communicates appropriate regulations and/or policies to students, and follows up with administrators.
• Work requires bending, kneeling, climbing, and working in cramped or awkward positions.
• Work involves regular lifting, carrying, and holding objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Work involves regular stair climbing in buildings of 4 to 5 levels.
• Work is performed: indoors, outdoors, in bad weather, in areas that are noisy, dirty, or smoky.
• Work involves exposure to hazards from electric shock, burns, cuts, and chemical fumes .
• Work involves wearing special or protective clothing such as: aprons or overalls, gloves, and goggles or masks.Supervision and Daily Operations
Recruits, hires, trains and supervises all Residential Operations custodians. Participates in same for maintenance workers and summer conference staff. Provides information and makes recommendations to the Director regarding personnel issues and takes necessary corrective actions as approved by the Director. Reviews, authorizes and submits staff payroll using KRONOS , and processes workers compensation forms.
Works closely and coordinates all aspects of day to day activity with the other ORL Custodial Supervisor. Plans and schedules work assignments based on Residential Operations priorities including room set-ups and other preparation for conferences or special events.
Responsible for establishing work and staff schedules that consider all attendance factors such as vacation, personal and short term disability leave.
Submits work orders as necessary and monitors their status; follows-up as appropriate.
Assumes 24 hour responsibility for responding to emergency calls for residential custodial needs and determines appropriate courses of action and means to achieve them.
Policy and Quality Assurance
Assists in analyzing and determining materials, cost requirements and methods to be used in providing quality custodial services. Inventories and monitors supplies and submits purchase requisitions. Transports and stocks materials and equipment.
Initiates or participates in the review of ORL services, functions, policies, staffing levels and schedules and makes recommendations for improvement.
Approves and monitors resource use (personnel, tools, equipment, vehicles and supplies) and ensures that adequate resources are available to perform work in a safe and productive manner.
Develops and implements new policies and procedures, as necessary, to address safety, quality control and productivity standards. Regularly checks and evaluates facilities and workmanship to ensure that standards are being met.
Upon request from Residential Life offices, checks student rooms for ORL policy compliance. Communicates appropriate regulations and/or policies to students, and follows up with administrators.
Provides budget input for daily as well as extraordinary equipment and supply purchases.
Provides staff training and maintains appropriate and productive communication with staff.
Assists with Controlled Storage appointments as needed and covers these duties in the absence of the Furniture and Storage Supervisor.
Ability to work overtime and on weekends as necessary. Busiest times include residence hall openings and closings, Commencement & Reunion periods, and the summer conference season.
Participates in college-wide, in-service training on subjects relevant to ORL operations and policies, such as ADA compliance, diversity, and sexual harassment issues.
Work involves regular stair climbing in buildings of 4-5 levels.
Work is performed indoors (75%), outdoors (25%), and in bad weather (10%).
Must successfully complete the following training or others as necessary:
Driver Safety, Lock-out/Tag-out, Bloodborne Pathogens, Hazard Communication.
Driver's License is required.
-- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others. -- Performs other duties as assigned